[Development] Qt and IoT infographic

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Fri Aug 25 06:23:42 CEST 2017

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 9:08 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, 24 August 2017 20:06:56 PDT Jake Petroules wrote:
>> In our license management systems, there happen to be exactly 12 "platforms"
>> codified, so it's possible someone in marketing looked at a copy of that
>> list in Salesforce or something. That list is:
>>
>> - X11
>> - Embedded Linux
>> - Windows (desktop Windows)
>> - macOS
>> - Embedded Windows (i.e. Windows CE, and therefore obsolete)
>> - Android
>> - QNX
>> - VxWorks (which isn't actually an officially supported platform yet aside
>> from that fork of 5.5)
>> - INTEGRITY
>
> Looks like the licence key mechanism we used to use for Qt 3 and 4,

and Qt 5

> where X11
> and QWS were distinct implementations and we delivered different sources to
> customers. The order matches that order too (except for Android, that should
> be Symbian in that position).

Yep:

- Embedded Windows
- Symbian
- Android
- S40
- QNX

I imagine QWS was in the place where Embedded Linux is now as there's no other gaps in the bit set and the last platforms in the list are too new to have preceded it.

> A little bit of trivia:
>
> In the beginning of time, we used to split the source repository (CVS, then
> Perforce) into multiple source packages, according to the file names. That's
> why there's "qt-x11-2.3.0" and "qt-embedded-2.3.0". In Qt 3 times, the Mac
> version was also made opensource, so "qt-mac-free-3.1.2". Then, for 4.0,
> Windows was made open source.
>
> [🎵 "First there was Linux / and then there was Mac / now with Windows / on the
> Open Source track" 🎵 anyone?]
>
> It was shortly before my time as release manager that we created the all-
> desktop source package called "qt-all-opensource-src-4.3.0", which was the
> Perforce repository minus the *_qws* files and a few things that weren't part
> of any release (like the licence key decoder).

Funny enough, the key decoder is the only place where the full list of all 14 platforms still exists. All mention of Symbian got purged from the Qt sources pretty thoroughly.

Somehow, much older systems like IRIX, SCO, and others have survived longer. ;)