[Development] Qt and IoT infographic

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Aug 25 06:08:56 CEST 2017

On Thursday, 24 August 2017 20:06:56 PDT Jake Petroules wrote:
> In our license management systems, there happen to be exactly 12 "platforms"
> codified, so it's possible someone in marketing looked at a copy of that
> list in Salesforce or something. That list is:
>
> - X11
> - Embedded Linux
> - Windows (desktop Windows)
> - macOS
> - Embedded Windows (i.e. Windows CE, and therefore obsolete)
> - Android
> - QNX
> - VxWorks (which isn't actually an officially supported platform yet aside
> from that fork of 5.5)
> - INTEGRITY

Looks like the licence key mechanism we used to use for Qt 3 and 4, where X11
and QWS were distinct implementations and we delivered different sources to
customers. The order matches that order too (except for Android, that should
be Symbian in that position).

A little bit of trivia:

In the beginning of time, we used to split the source repository (CVS, then
Perforce) into multiple source packages, according to the file names. That's
why there's "qt-x11-2.3.0" and "qt-embedded-2.3.0". In Qt 3 times, the Mac
version was also made opensource, so "qt-mac-free-3.1.2". Then, for 4.0,
Windows was made open source.

[🎵 "First there was Linux / and then there was Mac / now with Windows / on the
Open Source track" 🎵 anyone?]

It was shortly before my time as release manager that we created the all-
desktop source package called "qt-all-opensource-src-4.3.0", which was the
Perforce repository minus the *_qws* files and a few things that weren't part
of any release (like the licence key decoder). Later, after the Git repository
was opened up, we got permission to release all implementations in one source
package. Since we had already used "all", we needed a different tag for that.
We called it "qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.6.0".

And that's what it is still called:
http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.9/5.9.1/single/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.9.1.tar.xz