[Development] Qt and IoT infographic

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 29 23:07:20 CEST 2017

On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 12:41:25 PDT Jean-Michaƫl Celerier wrote:
> > Research shows NO ONE deploys Arduino for real products. It's a maker toy,
> > stuff hobbyists use to make one-off things and some professional makers
> > use
> > for initial prototyping. When they get serious, Arduino goes out the
> > window
> > and they get real boards.
>
> Sure, but if you can't start prototyping with Qt there's not much chance
> you're going to switch to Qt when your prototype is running and you have to
> start working towards the actual product.

Actually, the Arduino case here is relevant. People do start with Arduino and
then they switch to something else. So there is a precedent on rewriting.

But I do take your point.

> Besides, this comes a bit as disdainful. I work in music research and
> *everything* embedded uses Arduinos, Pi, Beaglebones or similar. If you
> have seen interactive artistic installations in museums, outdoor
> expositions, or contemporary concerts, there is a huge chance there's a Pi
> or an Arduino running somewhere. Sure, there aren't "products" that end up
> produced thousand times and sold on the counter or at Moser, but they are
> shows, expositions, etc. which generate revenue all the same, for the
> artists, museums, etc. and need programmers to get the stuff running and
> banging sound.

I was talking about production runs, where you make thousands to millions of
exact copies. I guess I wasn't very clear about that.

For one-offs or maybe tens of copies, sure, there's a lot of Arduinos. And a
lot of Raspberry Pis too.

For production runs, that number goes very quickly to zero.