[Development] QtCS 2017 QtCore sessions

Philippe philwave at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 22:42:12 CET 2017

>>And, c'mon, std::optional's API is just not going to be topped by QOptional.

I don't know the QOptional plans (or no-plan), but as today, on the Mac,
the latest XCode 9.1 still does not provide std::optional.

With Qt, at least, when something is available, it is available in all
platforms, and Qt users can count on that.

>>Where I come from, we see customer's code "out there", and they almost never use Qt in isolation.
>> They have to interface with some 2rd-party library which, naturally, does _not_ use Qt types, but std ones,
>> and developers on those projects need to interact with both.
>> They also surprisingly often know about and use Boost.
>> Not only do they need to learn two different APIs (append() vs. push_back()),
>> they also face the impedance mismatch between Qt and every other C++ library on the planet.

I also see that, except that boost dependency is often rejected.
But I also hear praises about Qt documentation and ease of learning.

I like your expression "impedance mismatch", but don't see this as a
problem in practise.
I mean, when a std:: container needs to be used for an interface with
another library, then let's use is. No big deal.

Philippe