[Development] 32bit linux build of qt5.10.0 w/ webengine

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 22 13:25:45 CET 2017

On quinta-feira, 21 de dezembro de 2017 22:00:26 -02 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > To build? At least 8 GB of RAM and please use a 64-bit toolchain. You may
> > compile for 32-bit, but you need to use a 64-bit linker executable.
>
> I haven't tried 5.10.0 yet, but 5.9.3 built fine with the 32-bit toolchains
> we have in our Fedora 32-bit buildroots (i686 and armv7hl). All packages in
> Fedora are natively built, not cross-built, which means that 32-bit binaries
> will necessarily be built with a 32-bit linker. If this stops/stopped
> working, we will no longer be able to ship QtWebEngine on 32-bit
> architectures in Fedora.

A 32-bit executable is limited to 4 GB of RAM on a 64-bit kernel. If you're
running a 32-bit kernel, then the limit drops to 3 GB.

At the very least, make sure you're using gold, not ld.bfd. But my
recommendation stands, especially for developers.

I'm also not asking for a cross-compilation. I'm asking for a native linker
that is a 64-bit executable that your 64-bit CPU and 64-bit kernel can execute
natively anyway.