[Development] about the Cocoa/Freetype fontengine

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 14:01:33 CET 2017

> And even then ... how many users complained about window titles looking
blurry when KWin started using QtQuick for rendering titlebars?

isn't this a common complaint actually :
https://www.google.com/search?q=qt+quick+blurry+text ?

But I think that the overall problem is that there are two categories of
software built with Qt :
* apps that integrates with their user's desktop
* apps that look the same everywhere.

In my case I am for instance sometimes developing small UI software with
some buttons, list, etc... and in this case I want the app to integrate
nicely and blend in whatever the OS and the color scheme of the user of the
software.
But the main app I work on is a music software for artists ; these
generally have a *very strong* visual identity. We use our own CSS with
fusion style everywhere with custom fonts, pixmaps, etc etc... and the
software *has* to look the same (as in, pixel-perfect) on every platform
(given same DPI of course). I honestly don't care much about the software
integrating with the host environment; just take a look at famous software
in this category:

* Max/MSP: https://docs.cycling74.com/max7/vignettes/images/project-edit.png
* Ableton Live:
https://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/ableton-live-9-suite-163826.jpg
* TouchDesigner:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8680998191_df78973538_b.jpg
* Sonar: https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/710664.jpg
* AudioMulch: https://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/audiomulch2-2.jpg

etc... in this case it's a good thing to pop out from other software on
your desktop (for very practical reasons, too: when you're on stage
performing a show you don't want to spend time finding where is the window
you have to click on, they all have to appear very distinct if you have
multiple software running)

Best,
-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier