[Development] Shall we turn on /utf-8 compiler option when build qt for Windows?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Feb 2 17:03:11 CET 2017

On quinta-feira, 2 de fevereiro de 2017 16:12:37 PST Olivier Goffart wrote:
> On Montag, 30. Januar 2017 08:32:50 CET Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On segunda-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2017 14:43:22 PST Konstantin Tokarev
>
> wrote:
> > > What about Intel? (IIRC they use EDG frontend, aren't they?)
> >
> > icc on Mac and Windows operates like GCC and Clang.
> >
> > I'll check icl.exe on Windows. It is supposed to operate like MSVC, but it
> > might have some other options or have never complained.

BTW, I checked: it does not have an option and does not support translating
interpreting UTF-8 in C++11 Unicode Strings. On all platforms.

> How about unicode in the identifiers?  ☺

C'mon :-)

> My opinion is that unicode in the source code in the comments or string has
> some value as the way we express the programs. And so if the compiler we
> support can handle it, we should allow it. The problem at hand seems to be
> only with MSVC 2015 which shows a warning if we don't pass the /utf8
> command. So let's just pass that command.

You've misunderstood.

The problem is MSVC 2013 that shows a warning, one that gets upgraded to error
in -developer-build. I suspect MSVC 2015 RTM and U1 do too, but no one has
tested them.

MSVC 2015 U2 does support the option, which we'll pass.