[Development] Shall we turn on /utf-8 compiler option when build qt for Windows?

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Thu Feb 2 16:12:37 CET 2017

On Montag, 30. Januar 2017 08:32:50 CET Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2017 14:43:22 PST Konstantin Tokarev
wrote:
> > What about Intel? (IIRC they use EDG frontend, aren't they?)
>
> icc on Mac and Windows operates like GCC and Clang.
>
> I'll check icl.exe on Windows. It is supposed to operate like MSVC, but it
> might have some other options or have never complained.

How about unicode in the identifiers?  ☺

Code like this:

 const char andré[] = u8"andré";
 int δx = -1;

This is valid C++11, but even GCC can't compile this code. (Works with clang)
I know this is out of topic, as we are mostly interested in comments and
string literal.

My opinion is that unicode in the source code in the comments or string has
some value as the way we express the programs. And so if the compiler we
support can handle it, we should allow it. The problem at hand seems to be
only with MSVC 2015 which shows a warning if we don't pass the /utf8 command.
So let's just pass that command.

And how about QML?
Why can't I write such code?

Item {
	property int δx: -1
	André { anchors.fill:parent; }
};

Moc supports property names with utf8 in it, btw.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com - https://code.woboq.org