[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Feb 15 17:50:47 CET 2017

Em quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2017, às 13:39:36 PST, Marc Mutz escreveu:
> On Friday 10 February 2017 11:59:56 Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> > Short summary: The Qt Company has decided to focus development effort to
> > 5.9
>
> [...]
>
> > In case of severe
> > security vulnerability we would make Qt 5.8.1 directly based on 5.8.0 with
> > just the security fix(es) added.
>
> "The Qt Company has decided", not "discussions on #qt-releases indicated,
> here's the protocol, what do you think?", as we had with QtCS sessions.
>
> I didn't want to, but I took that kind of opening as a frontal — personal —
> assault on me as a Qt Project contributor as well as Qt user.

I choose to read that as "The Qt Company has decided to focus its own
development effort to 5.9" which means the 80% of the workforce by volume of
patches to Qt are going to 5.9. In addition, I read Tuukka's email as a
proposal to the rest of the community to follow suit and make it a Qt Project
decision.

Until yesterday, there wasn't much a disagreement, so the release team took it
as consensus decision from the community.