[Development] [root_ptr] GC + Automatic Reference Counting

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 01:10:36 CET 2017

On 01/10/2017 06:46 PM, Phil Bouchard wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> To go back on the main subject, it came to my attention that Apple is
> using mostly "Automatic Reference Counting" since 2011:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Reference_Counting
>
> The good news is it's not using the GC which makes the OS hangs once in
> a while but the bad news is it still suffers from cyclic references
> which I don't think is acceptable for the software industry nowadays.
> This means the Apple OS leaks.
>
> root_ptr clearly stands apart, hands down.  I just did my research
> regarding all aspects, objectively, in order to mold the best memory
> manager ever and I welcome any objection.  I am also glad the
> boost::fast_pool_allocator does such a great job in the user space.

Moreover I will try part of the following kernel level memory manager
sooner or later:
https://github.com/tempesta-tech/tempesta

At the same time I was just wondering what is the next step?  I am
obviously trying to get this library part of the Boost library but for
that I need a review manager:
http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html#Review_Manager

So any volunteer is most welcome.  It would be subjective to say there
is no demand in that area given the state of the art in the IT industry
like previously mentioned.

Also I did compare popular pool allocators and once again I find that
the boost::fast_pool_allocator stands out.

Lastly I find this subject really interesting and I'm sure I'm not the
only one so I wish I can help while I still have some free time available.

Sincerely,
-Phil