[Development] Branch request: wip/itemviews in qtdeclarative

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue Jan 17 08:48:39 CET 2017

> On 14 Jan 2017, at 13:37, J-P Nurmi <jpnurmi at qt.io> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request a WIP branch for the Qt Quick item views. There are plenty of items on the roadmap/wishlist:

+1 from me as well.

I think the back pressure about creating branches is really holding us back - you should be able to click a button somewhere and get one.  The more people expect dev branch to be stable, and whining when it doesn’t always build (which was a frequent problem 5 years ago, but not very often anymore), the more we’re going to need feature branches to do actual development work.  Having a big pile of patches on gerrit always feels disorganized and frustrating.  I’m sure it will be pointed out again that every patch is its own branch, but it doesn’t feel like it’s going anywhere when you work like that, and reviewers just keep ignoring your stuff, and nobody can get a linear view of where you’re going, because the “head” of the linked list is always changing.

I’ll be curious to see though whether a throwaway branch really works out better for you than a direct-merging one.