[Development] Branch request: wip/itemviews in qtdeclarative

Filippo Cucchetto filippocucchetto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:23:14 CET 2017

Getting back to the real topic some thoughts about the current state of the
ItemViews and what we need
- TableView with horizontal virtualization
- TableViews probably should do column delegate caching
- Decide if we should go back to basic integer row/column fields (exposed
to delegates) or use QModelIndexes
This is important and could have big impacts on the design and api.
- Connected to the previous point we should decide if we want to make
QAbstractModel of QObject* first citizens
or not. In particular i found envaluable the design exposed by Stephen
Kelly here https://conf.qtcon.org/en/qtcon/public/events/355
Look at the video (
http://mirrors.fe.up.pt/kde-applicationdata/akademy/2016/355_how_to_interface_nonqt_model_code_with_qml.mp4)

 at time 18:26. Where the QModelIndexes are wrapped inside a QObject.
- The current way to expose data to the QML view delegates is inflexible
due to QAIM::roleNames(). First is not possible to emit a roleNamesChanged
without resetting the model. Second if the model contains a list
heterogeneous data the roleNames() should return a QMap that is the union
of all
the possible fields. For overcoming this problems most of the users return
a QObject*. This solution allows dynamic roleNames and remove the need
for writing lots of QAIM

F.

> > On 17 Jan 2017, at 14:29, Edward Welbourne <edward.welbourne at qt.io>
> wrote:
> > One branch is dead but should perhaps be archived (i.e. moved to an
> > out-of-sight namespace): wip/tizen (qtdeclarative, qtsensors,
> > qtquickcontrols, qtbase).
>
> This was brought up before… Tizen still exists and Qt should still be able
> to run on it, IMO, supported or not.  So if the work was not finished, why
> kill it and have to start over later on?
>
> Otherwise someone had better archive it.  Ideally the archive should be
> accessible too.
>
> >  wip/qt5-nativetext (qtquickcontrols) 2012/Jul, Eskil Abrahamsen
> Blomfeldt
> >  wip/animation-refactor (qtdeclarative) 2012/Jan, Michael Brasser
> >
> >  wip/qa (qtlocation) 2011/Aug, shubinba <natalia.shubina at nokia.com>
> >  wip/v8 (qtscript) 2011/Jul, Peter Varga
> >  wip/experimental_scenegraphing (qtlocation) 2011/Jun, juhvu <
> qt-info at nokia.com>
> >  wip/statemachine (qtdeclarative) 2011/Jun, Michael Brasser <
> michael.brasser at nokia.com>
> >  wip/textng (qtdeclarative) 2011/Jun, Yann Bodson <yann.bodson at nokia.com
> >
> >  wip/visuallistmodel (qtdeclarative) 2011/Jun, Andrew den Exter <
> andrew.den-exter at nokia.com>
>
> Yeah sounds like I’d better look at a few of those.

Filippo Cucchetto