[Development] Texture image loading library

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Sat Jan 21 13:51:15 CET 2017

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 10:51:11AM +0000, Sean Harmer wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2017 20:35:49 Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> > >
> > > you can't put it there if qtbase is to use it.
> > >
> > > the central "regular" image loaders are in qtgui, and the "elementary"
> > > (6MeB of sources ...) opengl support is nowadays also in qtgui, so it
> > > seems quite plausible to put the texture loaders there as well.
> >
> > FWIW not everyone is happy by fact that QtGui is bloated with OpenGL code
> > and pulls in OpenGL libraries into application adress space with itself.
>
> Well that decision was made prior to Qt 5.0 being released.

I think it's about time to stop using the existence of decisions that were
made around the 5.0 release as part of a technical discussion.

2012 was a very special year for Qt development, in a very special environment,
leading to very special decisions, some of which already at that time were made
knowing that they are only acceptable in this context.

Yes, there might still be real consequences for Qt development today, e.g.
due to the independently existing compatibility promises, which, might
make it impossible to disentangle Qt Gui and OpenGL, leading to the same
conclusion. But then *this* argument should be used.

Andre'