[Development] [Releasing] Change file process & improvement proposal

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Thu Jan 26 13:28:30 CET 2017

Well, I had a hard time deciphering this, too.

Anyway, this all feels like we get side-tracked in details. To reiterate:

- We do (still) have a problem with our ChangeLog files
  * The quality of the entries, and the scope, greatly differs (between modules)
  * We do have a problem getting them in place on time for a release

Jani's proposal is to fix parts of this is to encourage committers and reviewers to write [ChangeLog] entries as part of the commit. This could be encouraged by
* Enabling the [ChangeLog] line by default in the commit template
* Enforcing a [ChangeLog] entry by the Sanity Bot (under conditions xxx)

For the sanity bot, either we decide that _every_ change has a [ChangeLog], or we try to make the bot intelligent enough to decide whether a commit needs a change log, or not. Parts of the discussion so far makes me think that this will be an uphill battle though.

So, any strong opinion against enforcing a [ChangeLog] line, with "[ChangeLog] -" for commits that don't need one?

Regards

Kai