[Development] Shall we turn on /utf-8 compiler option when build qt for Windows?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jan 30 02:21:57 CET 2017

On domingo, 29 de janeiro de 2017 10:33:39 PST André Pönitz wrote:
> We should remove non-ASCII characters from the sources if they cause
> problems.

We've had this discussion. One of our largest contributors has a full legal
name that doesn't fit in ASCII.

	Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB

> If some non-ASCII is unproblematic (like the 'ä' in some copyright lines)
> on all supported compilers, that's fine to have

That's usually one of the problematic ones.

Not on this file, though:

    qCDebug(lcTuioSet) << "Processing SET for token " << classId << id << " @

That's easy to fix by using "\342\210\241" instead.

So, we should:
 a) still avoid non-ASCII in our source files, aside from comments
 b) allow non-ASCII in comments, as needed
 c) turn the -utf-8 option on for MSVC2015U3.