[Development] Shall we turn on /utf-8 compiler option when build qt for Windows?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Jan 30 09:42:05 CET 2017

On Monday 30 January 2017 02:21:57 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>     qCDebug(lcTuioSet) << "Processing SET for token " << classId << id << "
> @  " << x << y << "∡" << angle <<
>
> That's easy to fix by using "\342\210\241" instead.

Which is totally and utterly opaque. So much so that one feels forced to add a
comment

  // ∡

but then MSVC complains, too.

Lose-lose.

The question really is: why does this come up only now? Is it because of
MSVC2015, and does it thus mean that only compilers that provide the /utf-8
option warn? In that case, the correct thing is to enable the option and leave
UTF-8 chars in the source alone.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470