[Development] [BB++] Now is 3.5x faster than Node.JS

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 14:11:10 CEST 2017

On 07/25/2017 02:50 AM, Tomasz Siekierda wrote:
> On 25 July 2017 at 03:09, Phil Bouchard <philippeb8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's why you have to put chances on your side. Regarding the GC all you
>> have to do is look at the logs:
>> http://www.war-worlds.com/blog/2012/06/on-android-garbage-collection-can-kill-you
>
> What killed the performance in this case was not GC but bad design,
> unfit for the platform. Read the article through, and the comments. In
> the end, the author got comparable performance on Android and desktop
> (while Android was still using GC). Additionally, the post is from 5
> years ago, a lot could have been improved in that period.

Here's another article that is 2 years old only and laggy performance
still seems to be a problem:
https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/detect-and-resolve-performance-problems-on-android--cms-24058

You need to understand that: "No matter how innovative and useful your
Android app is, if it’s laggy, prone to freezing, or hogs memory, no one
is going to want to use it."

> Mind you, the bb++ idea seems tempting. JS is not the nicest language
> around, it would be cool to have an alternative, esp. if the learning
> curve is small and benefits large. I'd just prefer it to be compiled
> at compile time (at the same time when C++ part is compiled), cause
> shipping the compiler with an app seems wasteful at best.

I'm here to help and hopefully Qt can take a lead against world renowned
web engines at the same time. As far as the compiler is concerned then,
worse case, I know there are better alternatives than G++ in compilation
speed and the overall size it takes.

I didn't have a chance to create documentation yesterday but I will this
week.