[Development] Qt/XCB applications and deadkeys (which cease working)

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Jun 8 15:43:07 CEST 2017

On Samstag, 3. Jun 2017 10:11:01 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the "English (Macintosh)" keyboard variant with the standard "English
> (US)" layout. Like on Mac, this gives me accented characters via deadkeys
> that associate the most common occurrences: AltGr+e is the deadkey for
> e-acute, AltGr+i the deadkey for i-circonflex etc.
>
> At random intervals I lose the deadkey aspect in the sense that in Qt4
> applications, AltGr+e will insert the acute on itself (idem for the other
> combinations) and Qt5 applications the deadkey does nothing at all. IOW, in
> Qt4 apps I get the accent followed by the to-be-accented letter (´e) while
> in Qt5 I just get the letter without the accent.

I just ran into the same thing today not an hour ago. No idea what triggered
it, but I haven't seen it before. I solved it by starting ibus, but I guess
that just adds another layer of interpretting keys. Also newly started qt5
applications had working dead-keys too, it was just all running qt5
applications that broke.

'Allan