[Development] Dropping older compilers for Qt 5.10 (was: Qt 5.10 pre-built bunaries)

Sérgio Martins iamsergio at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 20:30:50 CEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:
> This thread seems pertinent: http://lists.qt-
> project.org/pipermail/development/2017-March/029325.html
>
> TL;DR:
(...)
> - Peppe cautioned about slow migration away from MSVC 2013
> - Alex said still 30% of downloads are for MSVC 2013
(...)

The migration has been slow because there's little incentive for users
to update to msvc2015/7. If we drop 2013 for Qt 5.10 then migrations
would accelerate.

QNX is a much different problem though, you can't just recompile your
program with QNX 7. Besides the new toolchain, you'd need a new
operating system, new drivers, new BSP, and maybe new hardware. It's
too complicated and would hurt part of our ecosystem.

I think we should dump msvc2013 but keep QNX 6.6.

Regards,
Sergio Martins