[Development] Dropping older compilers for Qt 5.10 (was: Qt 5.10 pre-built bunaries)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 9 23:58:06 CEST 2017

On Friday, 9 June 2017 13:59:16 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 June 2017 15:10:57 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > In other words, there'll be exactly one C++11 feature we won't be able to
> >
> > indiscriminately use:
> >  * constexpr
>
> Let me point the key word of "indiscriminately".
>
> MSVC 2015 (at least Update 3) does have support for constexpr, but it has
> bugs. Unfortunately, the URL in qcompilerdetection.h is resulting in 404.
> I'm trying to reproduce the issue again by compiling with the support and
> checking what breaks. I'll reply in an hour or so with the diagnostic.

Okay... something interesting happened. With two simple fixes submitted now in
	https://codereview.qt-project.org/196981

qtbase compiled in debug mode (release mode building now but won't finish
before I go home). Even tst_compiler seems[*] to be compiling.

However, I did find one MSVC feedback item I submitted and is not listed in
qcompilerdetection.h. The error is still present in MSVC 2015 Update 3, though
not in 2017. The source code is clearly based on tst_qflags.

	https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/3113430

I'm thinking that we could enable constexpr on Update 3 and just work around
in tst_qflags.