[Development] Qt/XCB applications and deadkeys and ibus (which cease working) (and sometimes the entire keyboard in Konsole)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 10:17:50 CEST 2017

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> I am on Debian and found the same thing. Apt-get remove im-config solves the
> issue. Apparently it is a buggy package that forces Qt to use ibus without
> ensuring ibus is launched.

That's not what I saw. Ibus was always launched at login, and im-config seems to
get some length to ensure that applications always use the "best" method
available if the user didn't configure things to use a specific method. That's why
newly launched Qt applications work fine after exiting ibus. The loss of keyboard
input in Qt5 applications is a priori not a packaging fault but a regression in
Qt itself.

> Btw. In a similar vain of packages having a negative impact on Qt. I also
> recomment uninstalling at-spi2-core which sets the environment variable to
> force accessibility always on which has a big negative performance impact.

Thanks for the suggestion, at least I could uninstall that one without taking a
sh*load of other packages along with it...
What env. variable would that be (I don't want to log off and on AGAIN just yet
:))

Cheers,
R.