[Development] Examples and Demos in qtdoc

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Wed Jun 14 19:29:54 CEST 2017

Hi,

Yes, we would like to overall improve the examples. This is related to having a new repo for examples, but not fully the same thing. Main goal in example improvement being to make them more useful in what they are: examples of how to use Qt. Currently there are some examples that implement their own rudimentary controls instead of using Qt Quick Controls 2. We also have some examples that do not properly leverage our tooling. Some examples might not show the very best way to do things, as the new APIs allow even better way than at the time of creating the example.

What comes to WOW, we do need to have great looking demos and at least some examples should look good as well. However, that WOW should not be the ultimate goal. The purpose of examples is to help users make better use of Qt and sometimes making things too shiny can be counterproductive. Another thing is that this WOW is a quite subjective matter and different trends come and go. It is fine to make an example look great, but that should not be the sole purpose.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 14/06/2017, 18.54, "Development on behalf of Sze Howe Koh" <development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of szehowe.koh at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 14 June 2017 at 19:18, Frederik Gladhorn <frederik.gladhorn at qt.io> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > We recently had a discussion in the Qt Company about how we can improve the
    > first use experience of Qt and one important aspect are the examples and demos.

    +1

    > We have a lot of examples that are limited by the Qt module they live in, for
    > example not making use of ready made buttons in Qt Quick. To allow examples to
    > use any Qt module while keeping the build system clean (no cyclic dependencies
    > between modules), I'd like to propose using the qtdoc module to gather fresh
    > and beautiful examples.
    >
    > We currently have a few bigger examples already that would fit this category
    > and plan to invest more into good looking nice and welcoming examples to give
    > new Qt users a positive first impression.

    Fresh and beautiful is good.

    Does this initiative also involve cleaning up existing examples
    (including removing them, where appropriate)? For example, the old
    rendering at http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquick-scenegraph-textureinsgnode-example.html
    would detract from the nice and welcoming bits on display.

    One reason to avoid a large-scale cleanup, though, is to avoid link rot.

    > Of course we could create a new repo, but considering that we have an existing
    > repo which did contain the demo launcher previously and which is ready to be
    > used, I'd propse going with it, while the name is not perfect. It's already
    > part of the infrastructure and qt5.git, so this seems like an easy way to go
    > forward.

    qtdoc.git currently houses a number of non-flashy but nonetheless
    important examples and documents (e.g. signals and slots, platform
    notes). Would it be better to keep a separate repo for wowing
    newcomers (say, "qtshowcase.git")? Especially since there will be many
    large files involved, as Sean mentioned.

    Regards,
    Sze-Howe