[Development] right-to-left mode on Mac

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 19:04:56 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Except I want to change that. I personally think it's wrong to require the
> translators to supply that information. Instead, we should extract from CLDR
> and store it in QLocale.

I don't see anything in the .ts files that carries this kind of instruction.
Instead it would seem it's contained in the font, at least for languages like
Hebrew and Arab. Even my terminal (Konsole) renders those strings right-to-left
unless I disable R2L support, or when I use a hex editor.

I don't care for the rest where the info is obtained from. As long as it remains
(easily) possible to start individual applications using a different locale than
the one configured on the desktop or for the shell.

> Curiosity: what is that (t) symbol?

? That's a symbol I get with Alt-Shift-K on a Mac keyboard (or Command-Alt-K, I
never remember and am not at my Mac right now). It's been under that shortcut
for ages (early 90s) and once corresponded to the symbol on the right Command
key. No idea what its Unicode name is.

R.