[Development] right-to-left mode on Mac

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 28 17:54:37 CEST 2017

On quarta-feira, 28 de junho de 2017 01:24:09 PDT René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Actually, it can. The Qt translation contains some extra information, like
> > whether the language is R2L and the plural rules. If you don't load the
> > .qm
> > file for Qt itself (the qtbase one), you'll have problems.
>
> Yeah, I installed the Hebrew translations and can confirm that launching a
> Qt app with the LANGUAGE and LANG variables set accordingly does the trick,
> at least for menus Qt renders entirely itself.
> The good news is that means one doesn't have to set one's desktop to become
> incomprehensible, but it'd still be nice to have a set of en_Mirror
> translation files :)

Except I want to change that. I personally think it's wrong to require the
translators to supply that information. Instead, we should extract from CLDR
and store it in QLocale.

> >> Shortcut hints are displayed as "C" instead of "C"
> >
> > That looks like a Unicode BiDi issue. The  symbol is in the private use
> > area, so it has no BiDi flow, but "C" does.
>
> You mean that the text drawing routine would normally obtain additional
> information from the text itself whether it should be rendered differently
> from the global layout direction? Wouldn't that affect native Mac apps to?

There's a whole set of rules for doing BiDi, which I have never read. I just
know they exist and a bit of details.

Curiosity: what is that (t) symbol?