[Development] [Interest] QT expert's help required for mentoring Linux Foundation GSoC project.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 30 19:12:45 CEST 2017

[dropping interest@, keeping development@]

On Friday, 30 June 2017 09:08:32 PDT Christoph Feck wrote:
> > The project involves development of the complex Common Print dialogs in
> > QT.
> > We are badly in need of someone who has development experience in QT
> > upstream to guide our students. It will be of great help if someone from
> > the community could could show interest.

Hello Aveek, Till

Glad to see the interest. The Qt Project will gladly help, though the extent
of how much we can do is unknown at this time.

> Is the aim to merge this printing dialog into Qt sources to replace the
> current Qt print dialog? http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qprintdialog.html
>
> If yes, then the GSoC students should contact Qt developers at the Qt
> development mailing list, and discuss their plans. Unfortunately, the
> former QPrinter maintainer is busy with his paid job, so I see
> difficulties here.

>From the linked GSoC pages, it appears that this is about the print dialog
itself. So what Christoph said about not having a maintainer is a valid
concern. We can't help much with the current code organisation, as none of us
is familiar with it. But I don't expect too much difficulty getting to learn it
together, provided the student is dedicated as we can't do a lot of
handholding.

For the reviews themselves, I believe we can manage. I would advise an
architectural review on this mailing list so we get more eyes on it, to
compensate from John's absence.

Finally, the IRC channel for discussing Qt's own development is #qt-labs on
Freenode. More active during European daytime.