[Development] Feature Freeze Exception: QStringView

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu Mar 2 23:36:55 CET 2017

Il 20/02/2017 22:02, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> I really want QStringView and I'd like to talk to you how Qt6 QString,
> QStringView and a non-sharing QString class should cooperate to reduce code
> size in QtCore. Something like QString deriving from QStringView.

Can we start these discussions, like, now? Could you please share your
QString/QVector branch and describe what you did in there and what you
think QString should look like in Qt 6? (Similarly, we should start the
discussions on containers).

I'd like to get to Qt 6 with a very clear plan in mind, having already
done all the necessary research, and not starting experimenting with
ideas when it's too late -- or even worse having to rush things out and
then be stuck another 10 years with suboptimal designs.

My 2 c,
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts