[Development] syncqt.pl in C++

Corentin corentin.jabot at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:37:56 CET 2017

For what it's worth, as a Qt user, QBS was, last time I checked missing
some features, like non-transitive compilatuons flags, platform support and
documentation.

That being said, in the past few years, I wrote some makefiles, some cmake
projects. I've used WAF, qmake...  QBS is the best C++ build system I've
used. By far.

The syntax is straightforward, logical, well thought out.
For the most part, it is neither too verbose nor too little.
I have managed to use it to generate intermediary files. (Maybe it still
need better extensibility for that)

I like that it works without stupid hardcoded paths, that it can be used to
great effects for non-qt projects.
Yes, it is yet another wheel, but it's a well engineered one. It fits
nicely in the Qt ecosystem and if you are a little familiar with QML the
learning curve is almost non existant.

I've made the risky decision to use it on large-ish production software and
I never regretted it.
Porting existing librairies to qbs is straight forward.
One could wish automatic conversion/import of cmake-base project but I have
no idea if it's doable.

I hardly see the need to import Qt-based libs in non-qt based projects  so
I don't see not using the headaches-inducing cmake as an issue.