[Development] QList

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Mon Mar 20 15:56:38 CET 2017

On Mon, March 20, 2017 15:19, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Well, seriously. My answer is the same: Time has only one direction. Qt
> source
> and binary compatibility only has one direction. If you want to use Qt in
> way it was not intended to be used, then you need to pay the prize, and
> not
> ask the community to do so for you.
>
> You can pay by porting to QVector. Or auto. That will work in Qt 5 and Qt
> 6.
> You can define your own MyQListOrQVector type alias. Or you can #ifdef.
> It's
> up to you.

Marc, please do not underestimate the impact of laziness! Whether we admit
it or not: most of us became computer scientists because we're lazy - we
want to let the machine work for us! ;-)

Everybody else at least works for for someone who is quite tight-fisted
with the budget.

In other words: if Qt 6 forces me to do any significant amount of porting,
then I'll stay with Qt 5. I was able to port my biggest Qt 4 application
to Qt 5 because I could promise my client it'd be done in a couple of days
and he'd gain lots of features too.

If I have to replace every single occurrence of QList with QVector or auto
for it to continue working with Qt 6, then I will not get a budget for
that.

The community will pay for my laziness by having to support an outdated
framework for much longer. Lazy people are great at externalizing... :-P

    Konrad