[Development] Proposal to adjust release candidate process

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Mar 28 08:02:39 CEST 2017

> On Mar 28, 2017, at 07:04, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On segunda-feira, 27 de março de 2017 21:21:41 PDT Jani Heikkinen wrote:
>>> Maybe every week is too aggressive, since few people will test every week
>>> and give feedback in time for the next release. We may find that every
>>> other week is better.
>>
>> Yes, the goal is to have new beta n about week or two after previous one,
>> pretty much when we have important fixes in & when we have managed to
>> create content and verified that to be good enough. The main idea is that
>> we won't do new release from each successfully qt5.git integration by
>> default but still do several beta releases quite regularly (kind of need
>> basis).
>
> My point is that weekly releases is too fast and will be confusing. People
> will be testing beta N, and reporting next week what they've found, only to
> run into people already testing beta N+1 and unable to reproduce the same
> situations.

Currently they run into people who are unable to reproduce the same situations in their own build from git,
which then can only answer “fixed in git but you cannot test it without doing a custom build from there”.
And for fixes that are related to the package build process itself even that is not possible.
I think in a process that is supposed to take 8 weeks (from beta to final), waiting (at least) 2 weeks to be able to verify fixes is pretty long, so I think _aiming_ for once a week is a good idea at least worth trying.