[Development] Proposal to adjust release candidate process

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 28 07:04:08 CEST 2017

On segunda-feira, 27 de março de 2017 21:21:41 PDT Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> > Maybe every week is too aggressive, since few people will test every week
> > and give feedback in time for the next release. We may find that every
> > other week is better.
>
> Yes, the goal is to have new beta n about week or two after previous one,
> pretty much when we have important fixes in & when we have managed to
> create content and verified that to be good enough. The main idea is that
> we won't do new release from each successfully qt5.git integration by
> default but still do several beta releases quite regularly (kind of need
> basis).

My point is that weekly releases is too fast and will be confusing. People
will be testing beta N, and reporting next week what they've found, only to
run into people already testing beta N+1 and unable to reproduce the same
situations.

Maybe I'm wrong. The kernel does have weekly release candidates, so why not
us?