[Development] QtWebKit is coming back (part 2)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 3 19:44:17 CEST 2017

Em quarta-feira, 3 de maio de 2017, às 08:03:50 PDT, Konstantin Tokarev
escreveu:
> I'm not sure it would be acceptable, because updated QtWebKit requires full
> C++11 support in the compiler (gcc >= 4.9, 4.8 possible with disabling some
> features, or with code changes, which were not done yet).
>
> Also, there are differences in supported platforms and system requirements.
>
> macOS: One user reported that QtWebKit TP5 built for OS X 10.9 target is
> working fine on OS X 10.7, however the oldest officially supported version
> is 10.10 (as in upstream). I'm pretty sure that WK2 IPC with Mach ports
> will break when compiling for older targets, though it should be possible
> to switch to unix sockets just for 5.6.
>
> Windows: Windows XP support seems to be feasible, if needed, without new
> MediaFoundation-based player. Will require backporting Conan-related patches
> in qt5.git to 5.6 branch.
>
> Linux: GStreamer 0.10 is not supported, so official builds with video will
> have to use QtMultimedia MediaPlayer implementation.
>
> I'm not sure about QNX support in QtWebKit 5.6, it is skipped in CI now
> because of missing ICU. However, I guess it will be possible to reintroduce
> QNX support if there are interested folks here, at least Widgets API.

None of those look like deal-breakers. You should be able to:
 * require C++11 [*] and require newer compilers than 5.6 does
 * drop support for older platforms (XP, macOS < 10.9, etc.)
 * require upgraded libraries, like GStreamer

Especially if you're going to do releases out of phase with Qt, it should be
fine to require more than 5.6 did. And people should just accept it: if you're
dealing with something that evolves rapidly and is a security-sensitive, you
should be prepared to upgrade your environment quickly too.

[*] actually, we should remove the option from configure.