[Development] abi breakage for qtwebengine libraries in 5.9

Sergio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Fri May 5 12:27:10 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-05 11:00, Michal Klocek wrote:
> Hi
>
> With 5.8.0 we released web engine libs which export operator new ,
> new[] , delete, delete[] globally, unfortunately the issue was not
> spotted in time.
>
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60565
>
> With 5.9.0 we plan to correct the issue, unfortunately everything which
> was compiled against qtwebengine 5.8.0 will be broken when used with
> 5.9.0 libraries due to missing symbols and needs to be recompiled.

Ouch, this would be a pretty good argument for the 5.8.1 patch release.
Now we effectively have a Qt minor version that's ABI incompatible with
all others.
Too late for that now though.

Can we leverage the CI to prevent these kinds of mistakes ?

Regards,
--
SĂ©rgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)