[Development] abi breakage for qtwebengine libraries in 5.9

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Fri May 5 12:40:01 CEST 2017

05.05.2017, 13:29, "Sergio Martins" <sergio.martins at kdab.com>:
> On 2017-05-05 11:00, Michal Klocek wrote:
>>  Hi
>>
>>  With 5.8.0 we released web engine libs which export operator new ,
>>  new[] , delete, delete[] globally, unfortunately the issue was not
>>  spotted in time.
>>
>>  https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60565
>>
>>  With 5.9.0 we plan to correct the issue, unfortunately everything which
>>  was compiled against qtwebengine 5.8.0 will be broken when used with
>>  5.9.0 libraries due to missing symbols and needs to be recompiled.
>
> Ouch, this would be a pretty good argument for the 5.8.1 patch release.
> Now we effectively have a Qt minor version that's ABI incompatible with
> all others.
> Too late for that now though.
>
> Can we leverage the CI to prevent these kinds of mistakes ?

There is ABI tracker, maintained by Andrey Ponomarenko, that tracks ABI
changes between Qt releases:

https://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/qt/

However, it seems like QtWebEngine is not tracked.

It should be feasible to set up dedicated instance of ABI tracker for Qt CI and
track changes in braches right after (or even before) they are merged.

> Regards,
> --
> Sérgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
> Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB, a KDAB Group company
> Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
> KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts

Regards,
Konstantin