[Development] abi breakage for qtwebengine libraries in 5.9

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri May 5 15:43:57 CEST 2017

On Friday 05 May 2017, Michal Klocek wrote:
> Hi
>
> With 5.8.0 we released web engine libs which export operator new , new[]
> , delete, delete[] globally, unfortunately the issue was not spotted in
> time.
>
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-60565
>
> With 5.9.0 we plan to correct the issue, unfortunately everything which
> was compiled against qtwebengine 5.8.0 will be broken when used with
> 5.9.0 libraries due to missing symbols and needs to be recompiled.

Note that this primarily affects Linux, but since BC is mainly important for
Linux that doesn't help much.

The issue trigger because Qt exports symbols with the Qt_5 tag, so
applications that used the overridden new/delete operators will be looking not
just for new and delete, but new and delete with the Qt_5 tag.

Best regards
`Allan