[Development] XCB QPA standalone building

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 6 11:06:26 CEST 2017

Hi,

As you may remember I've been spending some time creating a standalone-build project for a personalised fork of the Cocoa QPA (and Mac style) plugin. This turned out to be relatively easy and given how the QPA architecture one doesn't even need to overwrite the official plugin (please don't change that :) )

I've taken a quick look into doing the same with the XCB plugin, hoping I could make it easier to allow other interested Mac users to use Qt under XQuartz, but it seems that it's a lot more complicated to build that plugin outside of a QtBase build. Yet I know the plugin can be taken from a QtBase/XCB build and used with a QtBase/Cocoa build. That approach works well enough for instance to use KDE's Konsole as a modern alternative to XTerm (used by a surprising number of Mac users!) - locally or even remotely. (And look-and-feel purists can even use the Macintosh style ;) ).

Should I just drop this or are there tweaks to the .pro file or qmake invocation that would make a standalone build possible?

Thanks,
R.