[Development] Release plan moving forward

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Wed May 10 11:25:09 CEST 2017

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the feedback on the plan. So far this is the general outline, and some fine tuning can certainly be done. Would be good to hear more feedback from others as well.

> On 10 May 2017, at 10:56, Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 10 May 2017 09:21:37 +0200, André Hartmann wrote:
>
>> From Lars original mail:
>>
>>> Of course, we will also continue to support 5.6 for the promised
>>> three years. We are planning to release 5.6.3 in Summer, after which
>>> 5.6 will move into the 'very strict' mode as defined in the branch
>>> policy QUIP.
>
> Ah sorry - I missed that part.
>
> But when looking into the QUIP I read it as 5.6 is about to enter 'very
> strict' in the 3rd year - what would be summer 2018 considering the
> release of 5.6.0 ( March 2016 ) being the starting point, right ?
>
> So the announcement is about to cut the 'strict' stage by almost one year
> - what basically means a stop of fixing P0/P1 bugs 1 year before, what
> had been promised.

5.6.3 is planned for Summer (current plan is August), close to 18 months after the first release. So yes, the 'very strict’ mode would be coming somewhat early, but more by 6 months than a full year. I am in favour of getting onto the ‘very strict’ path a bit faster than mentioned in the QUIP for this version, but this will of course also depend on the feedback and bug reports we get on 5.6.3 once it’s out.

Cheers,
Lars