[Development] Release plan moving forward

Antonio Larrosa alarrosa at suse.com
Wed May 10 13:51:12 CEST 2017

On 10/05/17 11:25, Lars Knoll wrote:

Hi,

> So we are now planning to make Qt 5.9 a LTS release. It's been 3
> minor releases since 5.6 and a lot of good things have happened in
> Qt, so this should be very good news to those of our users that don't
> always want to be on the bleeding edge but are looking for a stable
> version that's supported for a long time.

This is really good news. We're now preparing the SLE-15 release for
2018 and I wanted to propose internally in SUSE to upgrade from the
current Qt 5.6 to Qt 5.9. Since SLE aims for maximum stability, LTS
releases are preferred, and making Qt 5.9 one would help to make the
decision to upgrade a no-brainer.

If we can fit the schedule (and I'm confident we'll be able to do so if
5.9 is not delayed), that would mean all SLE-15-based products would
have Qt 5.9.x and thus, openSUSE Leap 15 (which is based on SLE) would
also include Qt 5.9.x instead of Qt 5.6, which in turns would mean that
we can upgrade Plasma in Leap to the next Plasma LTS release (since the
latest Plasma release already requires at least Qt 5.7).

So in short, Qt 5.9 being a LTS release is excellent news for us at
SUSE/openSUSE and our users.

(Just for completeness, note that we're already packaging/testing Qt 5.9
betas for openSUSE Tumbleweed so we'll probably publish that in
Tumbleweed soon after it's officially release. This mail is mainly about
the SLE/openSUSE Leap stable distributions).

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa