[Development] Release plan moving forward

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Wed May 10 15:29:53 CEST 2017

Hi,

> On 10 May 2017, at 13:05, Robin Burchell <robin.burchell at crimson.no> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Responding to just the LTS news: I think that this is tentatively good
> news. I worry, though, on a releasing front whether it is realistic to
> consider supporting now two LTS branches, plus potentially 2-3 normal
> branches at the same time, especially since we don't yet have firm proof
> that we are able to even maintain a constant release cadence with the
> branches we have now.

It’s not that bad. Once 5.9 is out, it’ll be the 5.9 and 5.6 branch we need to support, plus dev to maintain. Once 5.10 is out, 5.6 is starting to get two years old, so by then we should start being rather selective in the patches we still back-port. So I don’t see us having to maintain a lot more branches than we currently do.

The 5.9 beta process shows some of the improvements. But yes, we’ll need to show proof that we can get more patch level releases out.

> Can we get into a position where we can make a patch release every
> second month, say, so that security issues and high priority fixes don't
> have to wait half a year or more?

Yes, I believe we will be able to have those with 5.9 and later.

> The part of this that worries me is
> that I see 89 patches on just qtdeclarative/5.6 that aren't yet
> released, some of the highlights of the top of the commit log being:
>
> * Fix heap buffer overflow
> * Fixed assertion failure
> * Fix for dangling pointers (x 2)
> * Fix crash when ...
>
> ... and this was without looking for more than a minute or two.
>
> Right now, I honestly find it a bit difficult to recommend any given
> version -- right now, 5.6 is too old to offer a number of the things I
> would like to have, lags behind in performance, and has a number of
> unreleased fixes, but both 5.7 and 5.8 had their own share of problems
> in my opinion, and 5.9 isn't yet released.

Agree, right now we don’t have a great release to recommend people to use. That’s what I hope we can change until summer with having 5.9 with regular patch level releases and an update to 5.6.

Cheers,
Lars