[Development] Release plan moving forward

Robin Burchell robin.burchell at crimson.no
Wed May 10 13:05:20 CEST 2017

Hi,

Responding to just the LTS news: I think that this is tentatively good
news. I worry, though, on a releasing front whether it is realistic to
consider supporting now two LTS branches, plus potentially 2-3 normal
branches at the same time, especially since we don't yet have firm proof
that we are able to even maintain a constant release cadence with the
branches we have now.

Can we get into a position where we can make a patch release every
second month, say, so that security issues and high priority fixes don't
have to wait half a year or more? The part of this that worries me is
that I see 89 patches on just qtdeclarative/5.6 that aren't yet
released, some of the highlights of the top of the commit log being:

* Fix heap buffer overflow
* Fixed assertion failure
* Fix for dangling pointers (x 2)
* Fix crash when ...

... and this was without looking for more than a minute or two.

Right now, I honestly find it a bit difficult to recommend any given
version -- right now, 5.6 is too old to offer a number of the things I
would like to have, lags behind in performance, and has a number of
unreleased fixes, but both 5.7 and 5.8 had their own share of problems
in my opinion, and 5.9 isn't yet released.

Just my (personal) $0.02...

--
  Robin Burchell
  robin at crimson.no