[Development] Qt 5.10 beta 3 released

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 8 20:31:31 CET 2017

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 10:21:05 PST Mat Sutcliffe wrote:
> On 8 November 2017 at 15:24, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 01:06:51 PST Roland Winklmeier wrote:
> > > One question: How likely are the chances that the prebuilt MSVC 32 bit
> > > packages will be built with MSVC 2017 instead of 2015? As far as I know,
> > > the v140 toolset in VS 2015 and the v141 toolset in VS 2017 are binary
> > > compatible. So if I'm not wrong, MSVC 2015 could also use the MSVC2017
> > > binaries, no?
> >
> > In theory yes. In practice, we've found problems, so it didn't work.
>
> Thiago,
>
> Could you please elaborate on the problems that were found?

Sorry, I don't remember. Probably something related to the fact that constexpr
is broken in MSVC 2015, so it's disabled, causing symbols to be missing.

> And why, in
> that case, the online installer offers builds of 5.9 and 5.10 for MSVC2015
> x86 and x64, and for MSVC2017 x64 but _not_ x86? And is it possible to say
> which combinations do work together and which don't?

They work together, but we didn't feel like we should spend CPU cycles to
build 32-bit for the latest compiler. We should keep that only for the oldest
supported compiler, in case people still need it.

For new compilers, just use 64-bit or build from sources.