[Development] Seeking advise using git and code review

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed Oct 4 11:17:03 CEST 2017

Daniel Savi:
>> When checking the branch  with "git branch", I found that I was on a
>> detached head now.

André Hartmann (4 October 2017 09:25)
> That sounds like you didn't work on a local branch, but rather on the
> remote branch. When commiting there, you go into detached head. But
> that's no problem, it just needs special handling.

e.g. the git checkout -b name-of-your-choice, as an earlier response said.

>> I couldn't go back to the branch, because git told me that I would
>> lose my changes.

> Then you most likely have uncommited changes there. What does
>
>   git status
>
> say?

This needn't be uncommitted changes: when in detached HEAD state,
switching to a branch will leave behind the detached HEAD with no
reference to it, so that the next git gc will wipe it out.  So doing the
suggested git checkout -b should make git more relaxed about letting you
git checkout some other branch.

	Eddy.