[Development] Speeding up the review process (was: PostgreSQL cross compile for Pi)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 13 17:10:02 CEST 2017

On Friday, 13 October 2017 07:05:36 PDT Sérgio Martins wrote:
> In defense of Viktor:
>
> With some better wording (and no per-company aspect), the Open
> Governance model already provides for something like that, since it's
> a meritocracy.
> It's not outlandish if you spend more time reviewing and testing
> patches from people with low merit than with high merit.

I just want to highlight this part. Sérgio is right and we do allow for more
relaxed reviews based on who the author is, though not company affiliation any
more than we do for religion or phase of the Moon.

When I see a change to QDateTime coming from Eddy, I know he's been careful
enough and I can trust him to produce good code, allowing me to execute a
simpler review and not read line by line. That has nothing to do with the
company he works for, but because he's earned that right by producing good
patches in the past. The same applies to changes to moc by Olivier or changes
to QString by Marc.

So, yes, we should expedite patches by known contributors who have shown
themselves capable. (expedite != blindly trust)

Though I think we already do that.