[Development] How to get Qt_5.9.1_PRIVATE_API

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 13 19:38:48 CEST 2017

On Friday, 13 October 2017 10:27:59 PDT Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> On jueves, 12 de octubre de 2017 09:28:20 -03 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > The point of the ELF version was to help you the distributions detect
> > which
> > ones need rebuilding by having the symbol show up. Having the symbol
> > rename
> > all the time doesn't make the distro-building more robust, since the
> > previous symbols would just disappear and new ones would appear, possibly
> > causing breakages. Packagers still need to figure out a way to cause that
> > rebuild anyway.
>
> Right, this would be problematic at least for us in Debian. Of course that
> if the patch is applied we can always unapply it.

The thing is that if you solve the problem of rebuilding, then the issue of
the name of the ELF version is moot.

For a Linux distribution, whose most frequent updates are a full patch or
minor release, the changes in the private API are significant and require
rebuilding everything.

For Qt's own developers, the updates are very minute and most often don't
break the private API.