[Development] Future of QBS

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Tue Oct 17 17:45:26 CEST 2017

I'm just going to ignore the bikeshedding on implementation details, and

Il 13/10/2017 16:56, Sergio Martins ha scritto:
> Please make something we can easily detach from the qt-project in 10
> years and have it's own ecosystem.
>
> The qt-project isn't in the business of maintaining JavaScript engines
> or build systems, this model works now because TQC has manpower, but if
> something bad happens in 10 years, then it will be a maintenance burden
> and rot.
>
> So IMHO, no updating QtScript with newer JavaScriptCore and no adapting
> the QML/V4 engine, go straight for pure JavaScriptCore/JerryScript and
> no linking to Qt.

This means, amongst other things:

* Get a proper website for qbs under qbs.io (the domain already exist,
but now it just redirects to the docs)
* Host all the qbs-related resources there: mailing lists,
documentation, blogs, forums
* For the end-user, remove all references to qbs as existing under the
Qt umbrella (for the developer _of_ qbs, then it's perhaps acceptable to
push patches to Qt's gerrit).

I'm firmly convinced that doing all of this is even more important than
whatever rant you might have about using JavaScript or LUA or some other
programming language.

(Small story: when I presented Qt Creator at CppCon last year, people's
reactions were always these two:

1) "Oh, wait, it's a general purpose IDE? It's not just for building Qt
applications?"
2) "Where's the download link?"

Needless to say, it's a marketing/political failure in both cases.)

My 2 cents,
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts