[Development] Future of QBS

Adam Treat adam.treat at qt.io
Tue Oct 17 23:22:46 CEST 2017

A few points:

* Unless you are worried about building software with possibly infinite
dependencies, infinite build products, then a non-Turing complete
language that just lacks general recursion will be sufficiently
expressive to meet your needs. In particular, this means those vaguely
worrying about "sufficiently complex" build systems can rest assured. If
a strongly normalizing language can suffice as the internal language to
build a new foundation for ZFC set theory, then I think it'd be
sufficient to express a deterministic build system.

* Of course you can work around the halting problem so that Qt Creator
(or some other IDE) doesn't hang should a build never halt. The point of
non-Turing complete language is that you could ensure this by design.

That said, I think the Turing-completeness question and halting problem
should be low on the list of priorities for qbs.

Cheers,
Adam