[Development] Future of QBS

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at qt.io
Wed Oct 18 11:22:19 CEST 2017

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 08:46:34 +0200
Jeandet Alexis <alexis.jeandet at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Le mardi 17 octobre 2017 à 17:45 +0200, Giuseppe D'Angelo a écrit :
> > (Small story: when I presented Qt Creator at CppCon last year,
> > people's
> > reactions were always these two:
> >
> > 1) "Oh, wait, it's a general purpose IDE? It's not just for building
> > Qt
> > applications?"
> You are right, but what is misleading I think is that some visible
> features are for Qt(designer, QML...), then I'm not sure that it is
> possible to build anything without qmake(-> without any kit). The fact
> that non Qt users have to deal with Qt kits is really painfull.

While there might have been a time where setting a Qt in the kit was required, it certainly isn't these days.
The actual problem in that area is that some plugins are not agnostic to the build tool being used, i.e. they only work with qmake projects. This is due to the history of Qt Creator.

Christian