[Development] Repository request: MaterialWidgets

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Mon Oct 30 12:56:25 CET 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 01:18:45PM +0330, iman ahmadvand wrote:
>    Hi Lars.
>    Can i now request in QTQAINFRA ?

no need to - it will end up on my table anyway.

anyway, as nobody else stated it quite as clearly yet, i'll bring you
the bad news: Yet Another Widget Set (incl. its own API) is certainly
*not* what qt needs. if you are successful, you'll just fragment the qt
ecosystem even more, but the more likely outcome is that almost nobody
will care for your work.

instead, you should direct your efforts towards integrating this with
the existing qt widgets, as shawn suggested. not as an afterthought, but
as the explicit goal. that means you should work on a
wip/materialwidgets branch directly in qtbase. all source/binary
incompatible changes should be wrapped into #if
QT_CONFIG(new_widgets_api) (derived from a to-be-added configure
switch). these #if's would go away in qt6 (possibly in 2-3 years).

of course, this approach raises the question of immediate use - nobody
who uses a pre-built qt would get access to the new functionality. the
nicest way of dealing with that i can think of is to employ the c
preprocessor to make it possible to build qtwidgets twice: the regular
build, and an optional namespaced build with the new api/abi.