[Development] Repository request: MaterialWidgets

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon Oct 30 13:13:01 CET 2017

Hi,

> On 30 Oct 2017, at 12:56, Oswald Buddenhagen <Oswald.Buddenhagen at qt.io> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 01:18:45PM +0330, iman ahmadvand wrote:
>>   Hi Lars.
>>   Can i now request in QTQAINFRA ?
>>
> no need to - it will end up on my table anyway.
>
> anyway, as nobody else stated it quite as clearly yet, i'll bring you
> the bad news: Yet Another Widget Set (incl. its own API) is certainly
> *not* what qt needs. if you are successful, you'll just fragment the qt
> ecosystem even more, but the more likely outcome is that almost nobody
> will care for your work.

I might have misread the request, but it sounded like a new style for our widgets. If it is indeed a completely new API set, I agree with Ossi, that this will most likely not really help.

> instead, you should direct your efforts towards integrating this with
> the existing qt widgets, as shawn suggested. not as an afterthought, but
> as the explicit goal. that means you should work on a
> wip/materialwidgets branch directly in qtbase. all source/binary
> incompatible changes should be wrapped into #if
> QT_CONFIG(new_widgets_api) (derived from a to-be-added configure
> switch). these #if's would go away in qt6 (possibly in 2-3 years).
>
> of course, this approach raises the question of immediate use - nobody
> who uses a pre-built qt would get access to the new functionality. the
> nicest way of dealing with that i can think of is to employ the c
> preprocessor to make it possible to build qtwidgets twice: the regular
> build, and an optional namespaced build with the new api/abi.

That could be an option. The question however is how many source/binary incompatible changes would be needed in the first place. There might even be a way around here without having to break compatibility, at least to most features.

Cheers,
Lars