[Development] Qt/XCB applications and deadkeys and ibus (which cease working) (and sometimes the entire keyboard in Konsole)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 20:35:15 CEST 2017

El 12 jun. 2017 5:09 a.m., "Allan Sandfeld Jensen" <kde at carewolf.com>
escribió:

On Montag, 12. Juni 2017 09:49:43 CEST René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Check your environment. You must have something that tells Qt to use it.
>
> For Qt4 there's QT4_IM_MODULE indeed, and you can configure the input
method
> via qtconfig too. For Qt5 I haven't found anything. In the end I did
rename
> ibus- daemon and ibus-x11, and only then found there's a package called
> im-config where you can configure this. Annoyingly I didn't write down
> exactly where that was on by Ubuntu rig, and judging from the file date it
> was not the
> /etc/defaults/im_config file I thought I remembered it was :-/

I am on Debian and found the same thing. Apt-get remove im-config solves the
issue. Apparently it is a buggy package that forces Qt to use ibus without
ensuring ibus is launched.

Btw. In a similar vain of packages having a negative impact on Qt. I also
recomment uninstalling at-spi2-core which sets the environment variable to
force accessibility always on which has a big negative performance impact.

Would it be possible to measure, demonstrate and/or explain the reasons for
this performance impact? It might be of help to convince people to try to
find a better way to only set this variable when needed.

Thanks in advance!