[Development] Configuring qtbase with --opengl es2 on arm* devices

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Fri Sep 8 17:03:10 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Friday, 8 September 2017 15:54:23 BST Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge there are almost no arm board with opengl
> desktop support, but there are boards with es2 support.
>
> Now the question is: is it worth to enable es2 support if there are no
> specific hardware specified? (ie, like vivante or bcrm2) Or maybe
> there are board with benefit by just using -opengl es2?
>
> I came to this by reading
> https://wiki.qt.io/I.MX-6#i.MX6_support_in_Qt_5.2_and_up
>

> My main gripe is to understand if distros like Debian should or not
> enable opengl es2 when they don't know in advance on which specific
> boards they will run.
>
> Any kind of extra info on the subject will be higly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance, Lisandro.

I don't know what you should do but for some data points there are also boards
that offer OpenGL ES 3/3.1/3.2 and the recent Tegra boards even offer
"desktop" OpenGL 4. ES2 is likely a sane default minimum. If users want to use
the sw renderer or ES3/desktop GL they would need to build themselves.

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK